Hula Hoop Sizing Guide
Wondering how to get started with hooping? We’ve answered your top 5 questions to start you on the path to health, happiness, and oh yeah, a waistline your friends will envy! The first thing you will notice is that we don’t present you with a chart. There are literally hundreds of them out there. What we have done, based on over 12 years experience and over 100,000 hoops sold, is present you with a clear solution.
Our Hula Hoop Sizing Guide has helped Thousands of Customers Find THEIR Perfect Hula Hoop!
The Hula Hoop Sizing Calculator uses height to waist ratio to determine your preferred hoop size.
General hoop size recommendations that use the height from the floor to your belly button can be very inaccurate. Should a five-foot individual with a 26-inch waist use the same hoop as the same individual with a 34-inch waist? NO!
Frankly speaking, the larger your waist size the heavier and larger diameter hoop you need. The same is true of individuals of the same waist size but with vastly different heights.
Our Hoop Size Calculator takes both height and waist size into consideration when determining your recommended hoop size. Our hula hoop sizing guide method, developed over the last ten plus years, uses the height/weight calculator to provide your individualized ratio number, an excellent predictor of your overall body frame and hoop size.
Please understand that any method that guarantees to predict an individual’s “perfect” hoop size, without knowing that person more thoroughly, is promising too much.
Our goal is to make sure that you have the best chance of success, based on our ten plus years of experience and shipment of over 100,000 hoops to customers worldwide. We also offer a 30-day money-back, no questions asked, guarantee on all Canyon Hoops products.
After a decade of serving clients, we feel confident our customized ratio will help you find a hoop that works for YOU! Find your perfect hoop with our SUPER SIMPLE calculator.
Once you have your Hoop Size Ratio, take a look at the chart below to match up your ratio number with the recommended hoop size.
Women’s Weighted Exercise and Fitness Hula Hoops
Men’s Weighted Exercise and Fitness Hula Hoops
Dance and Performance Hoops
Our hula hoop sizing guide is appropriate for hoop dance as well as hoop fitness. However, we feel that anyone who has mastered waist hooping and is desirous of learning new tricks and improving their skills, are in a better position to pick the right hoop for their current skill level. Our picks for hoop dance are based on our many years of experience, and we make suggestions on the best hoops for beginning, intermediate or advanced hoop.
I’m a total beginner, want to lose weight around my middle and don’t know what size hoop I should get. What do you recommend?
- You’ll want a hoop that’s large enough and heavy enough to spin a bit more slowly giving you time to learn waist hooping. A smaller, lighter child like hoop tends to spin so quickly adults have a hard time learning waist hooping. But you’ll also want to go a bit lighter and smaller as you get better, so that you can get your heart rate up and burn even more calories.
Based on feedback from working with literally tens of thousands of clients, we created our Two In One Fitness Hoop to meet both of those needs in one hoop, so you don’t have to worry about getting the right size!
- With the push of a button, this hoop can go from a larger 42” 2lb hoop to a smaller 38” 1.5 lb hoop with the push of a button and back again, as you wish.
- As you learn, the 42” larger size makes the hoop spin a bit more slowly, giving you time to master your technique and keep your hoop spinning.
- As you get better, you can take your hoop down to the 38” size by removing the segment.
You can also use your weighted hula hoop for resistance training to tone your hips and thighs, sculpt lean arms and shoulders and create amazing core strength.
Two sizes in one hoop! Take the guesswork out of choosing your hoop size. Start out with the larger 42″ size then drop down to the 38″ size as your hooping skills progress.
What’s the difference between a dance hula hoop and a weighted fitness hula hoop?
Dance hula hoops are designed to rotate faster and are used for both on body and off body tricks. They are lighter than weighted fitness hula hoops. Weighted fitness hula hoops are used for primarily waist hooping and resistance training to tone legs, hips and thighs and develop core strength.
Can I lose weight by hula hooping?
Absolutely! The American Council on Exercise conducted a study and found that hooping ranks right up there with bootcamp! But it’s much gentler and more effective for reducing belly fat. “Hooping compares pretty favorably with most other group classes, in terms of heart rate and calorie burn,” says Porcari. In fact, exercisers can expect similar results from hooping as they’d get from boot-camp classes, step aerobics and cardio kickboxing—all of which meet fitness industry criteria for improving cardiovascular fitness (Table 1). Also, by burning approximately 210 calories per 30-minute session, hooping falls within accepted guidelines for exercise that can contribute to weight management.
I’ve tried hooping in the past and couldn’t do it. Now what?
If you’ve tried hooping with a child’s hoop and had it immediately drop, it’s not your fault. Super light children’s hoops are not made for adults. We’ve crafted our hoops to the perfect weight and size for maximum control and core activation. You can pair your hoop with our Hoop Fitness DVD, which will walk you through how to waist hoop and includes additional resistance, cardio, and ab isolation segments.
What’s a good beginning dance hoop?
- A hoop that spins a bit more slowly can make learning hula hoop dance tricks a bit easier at first. Once you get the move down, it’s easy to move to a smaller hoop to really master isolations, arm slides, escalators and more.
- We created our Two in One Dance Hula hoop to help you learn new tricks and then progress to a smaller size as your skills increase.
- Our Two In One Dance Hoop has a removable segment that takes your dance hoop from 40” to a 36” hoop with a removable segment. As you progress in your skills move to the 36″ size which makes those isolations, arm slides and escalator moves easier to handle.
- Once you progress to advanced hooping you might want to switch to our lightweight PolyPro hoops for increased flexibility and responsiveness.
10+ years 100K hoops sold with 99% positive feedback.
I love my new hoop! Your web site advice on the correct size and weight are great. I needed a new exercise to add to tennis and pilates and the hoop is fun and very relaxing. I’m up to 20 minutes a day and try to add tricks…really fun! Very sturdy and well made. Funny….the last 2 things I purchased on line were made in Portland! Thanks for your attention to detail and informative web site! – Anne